Frequently Asked Questions
1. When are the races?
a. Our live races are held Memorial Weekend thru Labor Day, 2016 - May 27th thru Sept. 5th., we do offer simulcast racing from other tracks from around the world that is available both during our live race season and in our off season.
2. What is the Admission fee?
a. General admission is Free for most race days excluding Memorial Day weekend, Fourth of July Weekend, Zia Festival Weekend and Labor Day Weekend however we do have several other options that do require a fee. There are lower level grandstands as well as club-like options such as the Turf Club and the Jockey Club. Please contact Reservations to find out more at 575-378-4140. Below is a listing of pricing for 2016.
3. What is Post Time?
a. Post Time is the start time for a race. The normal Post Time for the first race is 1:00 pm. This varies on Trial Race days.
4. How late do the races run?
a. On average, between 5:00 & 6:00 pm.
5. When do the thoroughbreds race?
a. Thoroughbreds and Quarter Horses both run most race days.
6. How long is each race?
a. 2-3 minutes on average.
7. How much time in-between races?
a. Usually 20 - 25 minutes to give our visitors plenty of time to place bets and grab a snack.
8. How many horses in each race?
a. The average is 7-10.
9. Do you have night races?
a. Unfortunately our race track is not designed to host live racing at night, but our simulcast options do include tracks that run during that time.
10. Do you have Fireworks?
a. To ensure the safety of all our patrons and our athletes we do not have Fireworks.
11. Can I bring my dog? Even if he’s on a leash or in a crate??
a. Do to having the horses here at the race track we do not allow animals besides the horses on the grounds for the horses' safety as well as our guests' safety.
12. Are kids allowed at the races?
a. Of course! We love having families here at the track. We offer an arcade area and have a Family Day at the Races each year (date to be announced).
13. Can we bring a cooler, food, baby stroller, baby food or water bottles?
a. Again to ensure the safety of our patrons and athletes we do not allow coolers, umbrellas, or chairs with umbrellas, but baby supplies and a bottle of water in hand are allowed.
14. Do you allow Cameras, laptops?
a. Please bring your cameras and share your photos with us Facebook, laptops are allowed but there are no electrical outlets available.
15. Is there Wi-Fi available?
a. The Jockey Club does offer Wi-Fi to its guests, but the rest of the race track does not have access to Wi-Fi at this time.
16. Seating prices?
a. Please call Reservations as it depends on the area you wish to sit in.
17. Dress Code?
a. Yes in the Jockey Club=No shorts, no shirts w/o collars. No children under 14. Otherwise just remember this is a family establishment.
18. How do I get there?
19. Where is the closest airport, hotel?
20. Is there taxi service? Shuttle?
a. Yes. Not only is there taxi services available from local hotels to the race track, we offer a free shuttle service daily from all of our parking lots to the main entrance of the race track. We also have valet parking available for a nominal charge, which is first come first served.
21. RV Parks?
a. Yes, there are several RV Parks in and around the Ruidoso Downs area.
22. Can we park overnight at the track?
a. For safety reasons we do not allow overnight parking at the track.
23. Do you have a restaurant?
24. Is simulcast racing available? What time does (a certain track) run?
25. Where do I get Programs?
a. Besides here at the track, they are available at Circle K, Pine Springs Inn, Shamrock, La Quinta, Allsups, Ruidoso Mt. Inn, Ruidoso Inn, Arrowhead Motel, Casino Apache Travel Center, Inn of the Mt. Gods, Brewers, Win, Place & Show, Thriftway Supermarket, The Lodge at SB and Club Gas. (This list is subject to change)
26. What time does the Casino open? Until when?
a. 9:00 am every day until 12:00 am with Friday & Sat. nights until 1:00 AM.
27. Do you have a poker room, any table games?
a. Unfortunately we are unable to offer live table games but we do have a virtual dealer slot machine in our Casino.
28. How old do you have to be to go in to the Casino, bet on horses?
a. 21 for the casino, no exceptions and 18 to bet on horses.
29. What promotions are being held? How? When?
a. Due to our vast number of promotions that run each month, please check each departments section on the site as this lists all the current promotions.
30. When and where do I get a racing license, owner license, and trainer’s license?
31. What race is (a certain horse) running in?
32. Where can I get a Program? Overnight? Tip Sheets? How much?
a. On sale each race day at grandstand entrance, prices listed.
33. Do you have Gift Certificates?
a. Yes, thru Tim Keithley in Marketing. firstname.lastname@example.org